2007-08 BCA History
- Board Meetings:
- September 14, 2007, LifeWay Christian Resources, Nashville, Tennessee
- February 3-4, 2008, LifeWay Christian Resources, Nashville, Tennessee
- 54th Annual Workshop:
- April 16–19, 2008, Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort, Chandler, Arizona
- President: David Winfrey, Mercer Human Resources Consulting
- President Elect: Barbara Denman, Florida Baptist Convention
- Program Vice President: Elizabeth Young, Arizona Southern Baptist Convention
- Program Vice President-Elect: VACANT
- Membership Vice President: Shawn Elledge, Southern Baptist Conservatives of Virginia
- Missions Vice President: Joe Westbury, The Christian Index
- Professional Development Coordinator: Bill Bangham, International Mission Board
- Treasurer: Jason Crawford, Lawrence High School (Kansas)
- Communications Vice President: Brenda Rick Smith, Kentucky Baptist Convention
- Awards Chairman: Kimberly Quinn, Missouri Baptist Foundation
- Historian: Cam Tracy, Union University
- Administrative Coordinator: Keith Beene (died on November 16, 2007)
Ninety-six BCA members and guests participated in the annual workshop in Phoenix.
Members collected an offering for North American missionary Louis Spears, church planting strategist in Arizona's Valley Rim Association. The $636 that was given will be used to purchase Spanish Bibles for those Spears' ministry is reaching with the gospel.
The program included a tribute to Keith Beene, who served as BCA administrative coordinator for 12 years prior to his unexpected death in November 2007. "Frankly, Keith Beene was a godsend," according to former BCA president Terry Barone, who had a hand in Beene's hiring in 1994. Barone described Beene's commitment to his task as BCA coordinator as well as his loving devotion to his family.
In the business session Friday, members recognized three students who will be receiving scholarships from BCA: graduate student, $500, Brian Koonce, Midwestern Seminary; undergraduate student, $1,000, Christi Ann Mitchell, OBU; minority student, $1,000, Junghoo Song, Union University.
Members also named a committee of three immediate past BCA presidents (Joe Westbury, Norman Jameson, Doug Rogers) to explore options to grow an endowment fund of $5,000 provided by Missouri Baptist Foundation for future scholarships.
Members also voted to hire Margaret Dempsey as BCA administrative coordinator. The 2009 annual workshop is scheduled for April 15-18 in Nashville, and in 2010 BCA will hold its annual workshop April 7-10 in conjunction with Religion Communication Congress (RCC) in Chicago.
- Arthur S. Davenport Award for Exceptional Achievement in Public Relations:
Florida Baptist Convention Public Relations Division for "See the Florida Mission Field"
- Exceptional Achievement Award in Interactive Communications:
Media Group of International Mission Board for "Commission Stories website"
- M.E. Dodd Award for Exceptional Achievement in Audio-Visual Communications:
South Asia Media Team of International Mission Board for "The Caravan"
- Fon H. Scofield Award for Exceptional Achievement in Publication Photography:
Matt Jones of International Mission Board for "Moldova"
- Frank Burkhalter Award for Exceptional Achievement in News Writing:
Don Graham of International Mission Board for "I Left My Appendix in Bogata"
- Leonard Holloway Award for Exceptional Achievement in Feature Writing:
Polly House of Lifeway Christian Resources for "With 2000 Prayers of Salvation Nell Kerley is Still Going Strong"
- Albert McClellan Award for Exceptional Achievement in Print Media and Design:
Kathryn Carson of Baptist State Convention of North Carolina for "Great and Wondrous Things"