2004-05 BCA History
- Board Meetings:
- September 2004, LifeWay Christian Resources, Nashville, Tennessee
- February 7, 2005, LifeWay Christian Resources, Nashville, Tennessee
- 51st Annual Workshop:
- April 20–23, 2005, The Westin Tabor Center, Denver, Colorado
- President: Jan Kelley, Arkansas Baptist State Convention
- President-Elect: Joe Westbury, The Christian Index
- Program Vice President: Allen Spencer, Colorado Baptist General Convention
- Membership Vice President: Dick Bodenhamer, Woman's Missionary Union
- Missions Vice President: Ele Clay, FamilyNet
- Professional Development Coordinator: Becky Bridges, Baptist General Convention of Texas
- Treasurer: Jerilynn Armstrong, Annuity Board of the Southern Baptist Convention
- Communications Vice President: Tanya Dawson, First Baptist Church in Madison, Miss.
- Awards Chairman: Tamera Heitz-Peek, Southwest Baptist University
- Historian: Charles Richardson, Hardin-Simmons University
- Administrative Coordinator: Keith Beene
Eighty-five BCA members and guests attended the 2005 Workshop in Denver, Colorado, April 20-23. The workshop included two keynote addresses, a visit to Focus on the Family and 21 breakout sessions. An additional ten members and guests attended the awards banquet held April 23.
On Thursday, the day opened with a breakfast and keynote address by Sally Morgenthaler, founder of sacramentis.com and author of Worship Evangelism: Inviting Unbelievers Into the Presence of God (Zondervan, 1995).
Promise Keepers president and CEO Tom Fortson spoke following lunch on Thursday. Fortson described Promise Keepers as a marketplace movement. He said that Promise Keepers are everywhere!
A tour of the organization's facility, overviews of various departments by vice presidents and a Q & A with James Dobson highlighted BCAers four-hour visit to Focus on the Family April 22 in Colorado Springs.
- Arthur S. Davenport Award for Exceptional Achievement in Public Relations:
Dan Euliss of Baptist State Convention of North Carolina for "North Carolina, The State of Our Mission"
- Exceptional Achievement Award in Interactive Communications:
Sean Copley and Todd Hampson of TNT Studio for "Timbuktoons: Scripture Cartoons"
- M.E. Dodd Award for Exceptional Achievement in Audio-Visual Communications:
K Brown and Norman Jameson of Baptist State Convention of North Carolina for "Door of Hope"
- Fon H. Scofield Award for Exceptional Achievement in Publication Photography:
Matt Jones of International Mission Board for "Shall We Gather at the River"
- Frank Burkhalter Award for Exceptional Achievement in News Writing:
Erich Bridges of International Mission Board for "Traffic: Human Slavery Is Alive and Well in North India"
- Leonard Holloway Award for Exceptional Achievement in Feature Writing:
John Hall of Baptist General Convention of Texas for "Finding a Mission That Fits"
- Albert McClellan Award for Exceptional Achievement in Print Media and Design:
Office of University Communications of Union University for "2003 Provost Report"
This year we made a concerted effort to enlist people from new work areas for both membership and service slots, especially since our workshop officer was Allen Spencer from Colorado. We also talked about looking at the new trends in communication and the roles/skills the people from new work and other areas could bring to the table.
This desire/emphasis came from the realization that BCA at this time is primarily made up of people from old line states and more traditional communications roles.